[TUTORIAL] How to Translate your PrestaShop eCommerce Site
by Elizaveta Naumov
February 13, 2014
We recently launched a free translation module for PrestaShop that allows you to translate PrestaShop product descriptions and catalogs by professionals, right from your PrestaShop store’s back-end.
To make your life a little easier, we’ve created a simple step-by-step guide to show you how our PrestaShop translation module works:
Download the Free PrestaShop Module
First, go to the Module section or the PrestaShop Add-Ons link here and download the TextMaster module (it’s free!) Once installed, it will show up under the Internationalization & localization section.
To select the languages that you want to translate to, go to the Localization tab in the top menu and select Languages. Click Add New and choose which language(s) you want to add to your PrestaShop.
TextMaster is available in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Polish, Russian and Mandarin Chinese.
Create an Account
You can buy credits to start using our services on the pricing page. We give volume discounts, so the more you buy, the more you save!
For a custom quote, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 917-387-4916.
If you’re in the PrestaShop back office, you can click on the blue message that appears when you have no credits. It will redirect you to the TextMaster website.
To get started, you have 2 options, mass translation and individual product translation:
Option 1 – Individual Product Translation
From the individual product screen, click the TextMaster tab at the bottom of the left sidebar.
On this page you can select:
- the service (Translation or Proofreading)
- the fields to be translated (both product page information and meta data, which is used to improve your SEO)
- When you select a field, the word count will be updated automatically
- the source and target language
- the category
- the briefing message – these are instructions to your translator/proofreader. This is where you can give them details on what you are looking for, including writing style, key product information or examples.
- Quality Control: extra proofreading by one of our internal language managers (not available for the Regular level)
- Expertise: a specialist (in law, medical, engineering, etc.) will work on your project
- Optional parameters such as grammatical person, target audience and vocabulary type
Service Levels: What’s the Difference?
You will need to choose the level of service for your project. There are 2 types:
- Regular: this level is best for simple translations and proofreading for grammar and spelling errors.
- Premium: this level is best for web content requiring a more advanced writing style, research or technical detail. Premium proofreading includes correction of grammar and spelling errors as well as adaptation to local vocabulary, expressions and cultural references.
You will receive an instant quote of the cost of the project based on your selections and word count at the bottom of the page. Once you click Create Project, you will be taken to a confirmation page. After clicking Submit, your project is sent to our network of qualified translators and proofreaders.
Option 2 – Mass Translation:
From the Modules section, find the TextMaster PrestaShop module, click Configure, which will bring you to a page with all your product descriptions. You can now translate multiple products in your catalog. Select the products you want to translate individually or just click Select All.
Managing your Projects
Go to the TextMaster PrestaShop Module and select Configure. On the following page, you will see a header with buttons to create a new project, manage projects in translation and projects in proofreading, as well as edit your settings and get help.
Edit your Project
You can edit your order as long as it has not yet been assigned to a translator/proofreader.
Duplicating your Project
You can duplicate projects to select the same settings for new projects.
In Creation: Project successfully created but not submitted. Make sure you have enough credits to submit your order (http://textmaster.com/clients/credits/new).
In Progress: Project successfully submitted to TextMaster. Project has been taken by an author or is still waiting assignment.
In Review: Work submitted by the author. Project needs to be reviewed and validated.
Completed: Project reviewed and validated.
Approving your Order
You will receive a notification when you have a completed project ready for your approval. You can review the project and either Accept or Ask for a Revision.
You can always ask the translator/proofreader for a revision by sending a message in the comment box. This will change the status of project to Incomplete and you will receive a notification as soon as the translator/proofreader has resubmitted the project for your approval (maximum 24 hours).
Once you have approved your project, it will be automatically integrated into your product page in the language that you have selected. No need to copy/paste, it’s all done for you!
You can edit your translated descriptions by going to your product page and clicking on the flag of the language that you want to edit.
Still have questions or need more help to translate PrestaShop? Contact us at email@example.com or 917-387-4916.